Information for the patient before root canal treatment
We will carry out root canal treatment on you. All important information is gathered in this list. If anything isn’t clear to you, or you have further questions, please ask your doctor.
Root treatment is necessary if it is inflamed, or your tooth nerve is dead. This is accompanied by pain in most cases but inflammation and non -function of nerve can be found by chance when treated by chill. It can be on X-ray picture without any subjective symptoms .
When root tooth system is treated it is in most cases the last attempt to save sick tooth. success of this performance cannot be guaranteed by any dentist!
Affected tooth is necessary to be isolated from mouth cavity by means of latex stuff. (Cofferdam)
You are protected from swallowing or breathing in of root particles or gargling liquid and it creates sterile environment for concentrated performance of our doctor and his team for your tooth treatment.
The inflamed nerve must be removed from inside the tooth by help of different small sharp particles it must be cleaned by various gargling and it must be filled in by cement and gutapercha. If the the tooth is not totally dead, anesthesia is needed for its treatment. A few X-ray pictures are needed to be maid before and after treatment. The dentist will schedule the number of appointments according to number and shape and anatomy of root canals. If complications arise, your treatment can be prolonged or if it is found out additionally that your tooth is impossible to remain, it is necessary the treated tooth to be removed.
As it is at every stomatological treatment, at endodontics treatment, complications can arise at having all necessary conditions:
- Swollen places and pains can appear during treatment between particular dates of treatment, but also longer time after finishing the treatment.
- Damages root canal by metal sharpeners, or when creating root substances.
- Breakage of root tools in in root vent
- Tooth fracture
- Nerve in jaw can be rarely damaged, or sub nose cavity can be opened, when teeth are closely located towards them
- Overfilling of root canal
- When protetic attemp is carried out we are not able to foresee the result of our work.
For additional endodontics treatment sometimes various dental surgical attempts must be used for example, resection of root apex , additionally hemisection. In case of unsuccessful treatment extraction of tooth must follow. If you get rid of suggested treatment of your teeth, the inflamation can spread to surrounding structures – to subnose cavities, adjacent teeth, to mandibular canals with creation of ranking abscess and swollen parts being accompanied by risen temperature and so on.
After treatment and anesthesis effect (after one hour), you can feel soft or medium strong pain in your tooth or in its vicinity, they can last 3 – 4 days after treatment. Common analgetics can be use e.g. Ibalgin 400, 2 – 3 tablets a day. When you he blinging pain you must call on your dentist to agree the date of further treatment.
No additional benefits are provided by any health insurance company.
Tooth crown can be colored after root canal treatment.
It is necessary to stabilize distressed tooth crown to restructure it, or at least to make solid by intracanal gudgeon or at least by onlay with additional making it solid with intracanal gudgeon, so that the treatment of root canal could have good prognosis mainly in sided part of teeth.
We appeal to you to confirm by your signature you have been advised and taught , about the need and course of the treatment, about possible complications and alternatives of treatment and you agree with it.
I have been taught about the need course additional complications and risks connected with the treatment and about aleternatives of root canals treatment. I do not have any further questions. This is my consent to be given for realisation of proposed treatment of root tooth system.
Recommendation after teeth extraction
Keep in your mind the following advice of your dentist.
24 hours after extraction do not smoke !
- On the side of extraction put ice in duration of about 8 – 12 hours
- If the wound keeps bleeding , bite into sterilized stuff for the period of time about 20 min. (freshly ironed hanker-chief)
- It is common that your saliva is colored with blood. It does mean the wound bleeds.
- Your body temperature can be sometimes risen little about 37°C.
- Your mouth does not need water gargling, only once gently after meal.
- Don’t lie, you would rather have a rest in a position with risen head – semi sitting
- Avoid dairy products.
- In case of pain use analgetics.
48 hours after extraction
- Following days (5 – 7) always after your meal water gargle your mouth with lukewarm water, salt – diluted (half a spoon full of sold into glass), or camils (herbal – cure and salviah).
- Prefer your food softer or porridge-like.
- In case of temperature over 38°C and permanent pain, which does not react to common analgetics, please call on us.
If you have any doubts of further questions, give us a call, respectively call on our surgery again.
Guidance post prosthetic treatment. fix prosthetic- crowns,veneer, and bridges
Temporary Crown: Temporary crowns , veneer or bridges are placed to protect your teeth and gum tissue while your custom restoration is being created in a dental lab. In addition, this temporary will help prevent the adjacent teeth from shifting; thus ensuring that your final custom crown or bridge will fit. Temporary cement will be used to hold the restoration in place.
- Avoid chewing gum and eating sticky or hard foods
- If possible, chew only on the opposite side of your mouth
- Brush and floss carefully each day, pulling the floss out from the side next to the temporary. Lifting the floss out from the top or gum line area can cause the temporary to come loose.
- It is vital in order for your final restoration to fit properly that your temporary stays in place. If your temporary does come off, contact us so we can arrange the best time for you to come in to cement it back in place.
- Mild to moderate discomfort after dental work is common. We recommend a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, Pralen, Valetol or asprin following treatment. If unable to take any anti-inflammatory then kotakt us.
Sensitivity – Mild to moderate sensitivity to hot and cold food or drink is expected following placement of any bonded dental restoration. Typically, this sensitivity gradually diminishes over a period of a few weeks. Gum Tissue along with the anesthetic injection site can be sore for a few days. A very small percentage display sensitivity that persists for longer periods of time. If this continues for more than six weeks, please contact our office.
Pulpotomy - In some cases decay may be larger and closer to the nerve; leaving the tooth in a scenario of possibly needing root canal therapy. In this event the doctor/assistant will inform you of this and choose to place you in a temporary crown 2-4 weeks or longer to see how the tooth may respond before bonding the permanent crown.Price for such treatment are not calclated in prosthetics quotation.
Chewing – Avoid chewing hard foods for 24 hours in order to allow the bonding to achieve its maximum strength.
Your Bite – It is not unusual for your bite to be off balance. We adjust the bite immediately after placing the restoration, however the numb feeling often does not allow for proper refinement of the bite at the time of appointment. Contact us to arrange the best time for you to come in for a quick adjustment.
Continued Care – To keep your crowns , veneer or bridges in top condition, visit us for routine hygiene visits. Often, small problems that can develop around the restorations can be corrected if found early. The most common reason for failure of any restoration is failure to return for routine hygiene
Guidance after the procedure of conservative dentistry
These instructions are provided for you to create a more comfortable after treatment experience. Please feel free to contact us during regular office hours (or anytime for an emergency situation at the Eergency room) for any additional information or instructions.
- Eat soft foods and be careful chewing until the numbness from the anesthetics wears off.
- Sensitivity to hot/cold foods is likely to occur and varies for every patient.
- Sensitivity lasts 2 to 3 weeks but can last 6 to 8 weeks and even up to 16 weeks.
- If sensitivity increases or seems unusual, additional treatment may be needed, including possible root canal therapy.
- Ibuprofenum (400 mg) some timesa daily can be taken to alleviate minor discomfort.
- If sensitivity does not decrease or disappear, or if your bite feels high, please contact our office. A bite adjustment or additional treatment may be necessary.
- Enjoy your beautiful new fillings and with regular check ups and good oral hygiene, they should last for many years.